Monday, March 8, 2010

50 pounds of Ground Beef

Our ward cooperates with a a co-op that allows us to get some killer deals on bulk purchases through out the year. Our first bulk buy this year was ground beef. 7% fat, no hormones, fresh, YUMMY ground beef for $2.30 a pound! I bought 50 pounds!!! I figure this may last our family of 6 for 3 months. You may think , "What the heck do you do with 50 pounds of ground beef?" Well lucky for you I like to take pictures. LOL!



This is what I started with. Ten 5 pound bags.




This is what I ended with!

Ten pounds were made in to meatloaf mixes (on the right).
Five pounds were made into meatballs. (bottom shelf)
The rest was split between raw (on the left) and pre-cooked (middle).

These are great for quick dinners. Pop in the micro wave for a defrost then cook on HI for about 2 mins. pour into what ever you are making. So fast and easy.
I love my food saver!
***Now I don NOT consider my freezer food storage. It is highly perishable in a power outage or natural disaster. I do not can meat at this time because: 1 I do not know how. and 2 Hubby is not so fond of it. We do store tuna and commercially canned chicken though.***

2 comments:

Sharron said...

Great job getting this all ready for time saving down the road.

I like the cardboard trays in your freezer. I managed to find plastic baskets that fit my freezer but have started using cardboard trays in my fridge so that I can find the stuff in the back of the shelves ;-)

Amanda said...

just remember to leave space for the air to circulate. I would like wo find some bins that would work. for now the cardboard is free.