Friday, February 20, 2009

Food Storage Friday


Three Month Supply

Last Friday we talked about inventory and what we needed to have for our long term food storage. So this week we will talk about our short term food storage.

Three-Month Supply (from LDS.org)
Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage.

The best way I have found to do this is to have a basic menu of 4-6 weeks of meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and treats). Make a list of the foods you will use for those meals. Here is a great link to a self calculating ingredient list. It is from the AWESOME GALS at Food Storage Made Easy.

A three month supply can be easily built with out debt if done in an organized fashion. Watch the sales and Christy's blog for local deals.

You can build and save money on your regular grocery items by having a well stocked pantry. You will avoid last minuet shopping, and know that in case of an emergency you do not have to race out and stock up. Plus if you plan out your deals you will most likely have a detailed shopping list wich will cut down on impulse buys.

2 comments:

Christy said...

You've got quite the stash Amanda. Way to go! I am so lame at the menu planning. I can't even handle one week of dinner planning, and you want me to do 4-6 weeks of breakfast, lunch and dinner. YIKES!

Amanda said...

I said it was a good idea. I do believe I said *I* did it. I want to though.