Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

School Lunches

I do not buy school lunches. At our school they are about $2.75 and with two kiddos eating 5 lunches a week that is about $27.50 a week. OUCH!! So I thought I would find some ways to spice up their lunch boxes this year.



The Kraft foods website also has a lunchbox sulutions spot. It even has a section on lunch box jokes!


Remember presentation is very important to some kids.


Mom's Lunchbox Cheat Sheet

( from the Kraft site!!)


Place a frozen juice box in your kids’ lunchbox. – it’ll keep the food chilled and will be thawed by lunchtime.


Go for variety. Make sandwiches using whole grain tortillas, bagels or pitas.



Pack antibacterial wet wipes so your kids can clean their hands before and after eating.


Add grated veggies to sandwiches and wraps for crunch – your kids won’t notice they’re eating something that’s good for them!


Use small resealable bags to pack dressings. Kids can open one corner and simply squeeze onto salad, then discard.


Get dipping! Pack salsa, hummus, yogurt or salad dressing for your little ones to dunk their sandwich, veggies or fruit into.


Make bite-sized and mini versions of regular foods like sandwiches. They work well for small appetites and are more likely to be eaten.


Add a quick note to say good luck on a test or “I love you” – it will brighten your child’s day.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I came across your blog doing some research for my own. I found it interesting. You might enjoy mine as well- I too am an LDS gal my obsession is emergency preparedness.

readysetplan.blogspot.com

Can't wait to read all your posts. I am sure I will find something I can reference in my blog.

Amanda said...

So happy you found me!! I am off to check out your blog.