Sunday, March 1, 2009

Money Monday

Save that receipt!!!
In fact lets save all our receipts this month. Let's see what money we are spending and where.
So first get a shoebox, envelope, cute basket, or a zip lock baggie. Next go about spending as usual. Put your receipts in the designated container. At the end of the month lets add them up. We will need to have categories for this. Mine will include: groceries, eating out, gifts, clothing, hubbies lunches, household needs (cleaning supplies, TP, laundry soap, batteries), & food storage.
At the end of the month you will be able to see where that money is going. You may be pleasantly surprised. I have a feeling I will feel like I am watching a horror movie, but at least I will know where the money is and be able to set some reasonable goals for the next month.
Thanks Daphne for making this our theme for money this month!!! Great idea!
I will be checking in on this subject through out the month. If you have done this and have any tips or ideas please feel free top comment. If you have questions ask away!

6 comments:

Christy said...

I am playing along, results will be on my blog.

Amanda said...

very nice. I will be posting mine on here!

Just US said...

good idea!

KirstenandDaniel said...

I save my receipts for the year in a card catalog box with month deviders. Before I put them in the box I imput them into Microsoft Money and that does my adding for me. Keeping the receipts for everything is helpful when I have to make returns unexpectedly. I always know where to find my receipts. When a new month starts I just throw out last years reciepts. Any large item receipts are put in a separte file with the warrenty information.

Christy said...

Kirsten sounds super organized! I think we all should just give her our receipts and let her take care of them.
I am a receipt keeeper too! I love your idea of having files for the individual months, I just tend to throw them all in one file.

Amanda said...

Heck yah. Kristen will be my new accountant! LOL