Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tasty Tuesday

Cook Books
If you are like me you collect recipes from every source. Magazines, newspapers, hand written scraps from your friends house, Internet print out, and everywhere else. LOL!

Well here is my solution: Make your own cook book.

First you will need a few things. I had most of these around my house when I made mine.
  • A 3-ring binder - 3" would be great and a clear pocket on the front is handy too.


  • Page protectors - easy to keep clean!


  • Left over craft paper and stickers if you want


  • computer paper
I made a cover for mine to match my kitchen color and added a little title.



Then I made dividers labeling the section. Hints and tips, breakfast, breads, soups and salads, main dishes, kids favorites, pasta, cookies, deserts, and cake decorating ideas.



Next start adding you recipes. I have a mix of magazine cut outs ( I LOVE pictures.),


printed out pages,

and hand written. Some of the are on odd ball scraps so I just glue them to a piece of paper first.



A couple of hints here.



If you are printing from a blog: cut and paste to word or whatever program you use. Also include the name of the blog/site you printed from. This makes for easy referencing if you need help or more information about that recipe.

When dealing with hand written recipes, be sure to write who you got the recipe from or what book you copied from.


Also a binder with an inside pocket is nice. Sometimes you want to try a recipe before you add it or you simply don't have time to add it yet.

Are you lucky enough to have a spot to stand this baby up? Make sure to label the spine.

These make great gifts. I made one for my sister one year. It had red and white checked paper and I found some cute little ant stickers. Very Cute!! You can make it so individualized it's insane!!

Remember to think about Christmas, mother's Day, and birthdays. You could even make a smaller Blank Family Recipes Favorites. Make one for each sibling ! Or you could make one for a missionary, collage student, or newly weds.

2 comments:

thegirlwiththeplan said...

This looks like a fun project to do. I always just look online for recipies but then I can never find them to repeat. I need to do something better.... like this!

GlutenFreeAdrienne said...

I've had a binder with sheet protectors for my recipes for years. The reason why I initially used sheet protectors was so that I could keep my recipes clean. When I use a recipe, I take it out of the binder and clip it to the magnetic clip that I have on my fridge. If I move the recipe with messy fingers, at least the recipe stays clean. I also did a binder of my recipes for my mother-in-law as a gift that year. I am still adding to my binder and probably need to upgrade to a larger binder.