Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Whatever Wednesday

Garden Update

Here is lettuce from our garden. The kids loved it. This picture was taken about 3 weeks ago and can you believe some of this is still in my fridge looking as fresh as the day we picked it!!!

We picked these strawberries tonight to go with our store bought ones. They are tiny but yummy!! I put the quarter in for a size reference.

Other garden news!

Our 1st batch of peas are at least 3 feet tall and the second batch is not too far behind them. Beans are coming along, the second batch is taller. LOL! I gave me radish bed a string talking to then pulled them up. The didn't grow(leafs grew but no ball), so I planted some more!! My first set of carrots are getting so tall. Something ate the greens off the second set but the third is poking up through the soil!! My bigger than I could have imagined broccoli is turning yellow and wilty GRRR!! And my lettuce is awesome and continuing to grow. The 2 second batches are about 3 inches tall. Yummers! Also this month we plan to plant our Halloween pumpkins and some watermelon. We will see how they do.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Just a thought about your watermelon plants. My father in law uses black plastic under his which heats it up and encourages growth. As long as the rain water has some way to drain off of it it might help in this mild climate to get your watermelons big. Your lettuce looks great. I can't wait for mine to look like that.

Amanda said...

oh thamks we haven't made the box for them yet. Thanks

Anonymous said...

That lettuce looks gorgeous! There truly is nothing like home grown strawberries. They may be small, but they certainly pack a much better punch than huge California strawberries that taste like nothing. It looks like you have a delightful blog, but it's hard to read with the black text on a dark background. Perhaps you'll consider changing to a lighter background for your readers' benefit?

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com