Monday, April 20, 2009

Money Monday

Getting Those Bills Down


Let's take a look at those monthly bills. You know those ones we can't do anything about? Housing, Water, Electric/gas, Cable/Dish, Phone/Cell phone, Internet, Garbage, Car/house insurance, and those pesky evil Credit cards.


I am not going to go into all of those in this post (keep your eyes out for them though). I thought we could look at our water and electric bills today.


In my area our water provider is Firgrove Mutual Water. I pay around $30 to $40 every two months depending on the season (summer is higher). Not a biggy I know, but hey a penny saved is a penny earned! Here is a list of money saving tips. Also get your free water conservation kit. For budgeting I make a half payment ($15-$20) each month. It is automatically set up through my bank.

My electrical company is Puget Sound Energy. I pay around $141 a month for a 1300 sq. ft. home. I know what my payment will be each month because I am on a set payment plan. This plan gets reviewed every June. It is a great way to budget. No more dreading the winter months high bills. Every month is the same weather it is really $35 or $210. Here are 6 ways to slash your electric bill. Here are a few I have learned:

  • unplug it. Phone chargers, microwaves, toaster ovens, and electronics. If they are not being used unplug them.
  • turn the lights off. Open the curtains and let the sunshine in.
  • turn it off. The TV and the computer. They do not need to be on if you are not using them.


0 comments: